We have been hearing a lot about novel coronavirus and it seems to be causing concerns worldwide.
I spoke to Monty and Yumi on 3PM Pick-Up about it – listen to it now here
It is a flu-like virus and has similar symptoms. You should treat it the same as the flu.
There are some simple things you can do to stay safe which include
• Hand hygiene – wash your hands with soap and water, before and after eating as well as after the toilet
• Elbow coughing and sneezing – catch the germs rather than let them fly
• Some coronaviruses can cause illness similar to the common cold and others can cause more serious diseases. It is most likely spread through person to person contact – much like a cold or flu.
Even though people may not have symptoms, they may still be contagious. The outbreak has come from the Hubei Province in China.
• If you have travelled or been in contact with anyone that has travelled to the Hubei Province you must isolate yourself for 14 days. If you have any concerns at all – contact your GP.
• If you experience any symptoms then contact your GP ahead of you going to visit them. This way they can prepare a room for you to be isolated.
The overall risk in Australia is very low. Whilst it can be concerning to you and your baby be assured that our Government is working to protect the broader community. Rather than rely on reports in the media visit the Victorian Government Health Website for approved information.
While there have been identified cases here in Australia, the Department of Health have advised that ” people most at risk of contracting the virus are those who have been in Hubei Province recently, or have been in close contact with someone who is a confirmed case of coronavirus.”
Read the full information sheet here