July 25, 2019
SPERM QUALITY AND QUANTITY
Dr Joseph Sgroi will order a semen analysis for all couples seeking fertility treatment. The semen analysis provides an accurate measurement of the number of sperm, motility (proportion of sperm that can swim) and morphology (sperm shape). Treatment options are available should any cause of male infertility be identified
ABNORMAL SPERM COUNTS (MALE INFERTILITY)
- The most common causes of male infertility are called:
- Azoospermia, no sperm cells are produced
- Oligospermia, where few sperm cells are produced
- Teratospermia, where a high proportion of sperm is abnormally shaped.
- Causes of sperm abnormalities are related to:
- Testicular production of sperm
- Blocked or absences of tubes from the testis due to injury of vasectomy.
- Chromosomal abnormalities
- Dr Sgroi will arrange all the necessary investigations and provide you with a comprehensive plan so as to best achieve pregnancy.
Other factors that affect sperm quality include:
- Excessive drinking
- Drugs, including steroids and recreational use
- Weight and Body Mass Index (BMI)
- Frequent exposure to extreme heat (working in hot temperatures, or regularsaunas)
- Working in cramped conditions (for example, truck drivers)
- Acute viral illness
- Operations for undescended testes or hernias